New Zealand is well-known for being a sports lover’s paradise. Our ruggedly appealing terrain is ideal for every type of physical challenge humankind can conceive of. If you’re up for the challenge of a multi-sport event that includes swimming, running and cycling, you’ll definitely want to come and experience one of New Zealand’s many triathlons.
Why Participate in a Triathlon in New Zealand?
Triathlon tourism is a big thing all over the world; if you want to participate in a triathlon, you have your pick of interesting destinations. So why travel to New Zealand for a triathlon? Here are some excellent reasons to consider:
- You’ll enjoy well-planned events with world-class support, friendly locals and the camaraderie of a challenge well taken. Here in New Zealand, we take our triathlons seriously. We put significant effort into creating memorable sporting events that run smoothly and provide an epic good time for everyone who participates.
- We might be biased, but we think there is no lovelier place on earth to run, swim or pedal a bike. You’ll enjoy spectacular scenery as you participate in your event. Everywhere you look, there’s something worth gazing at. Depending on which event(s) you choose to participate in, you might encounter mountains, forests, blue skies, green grass or invigorating hot springs.
- You have your choice of event types. New Zealand offers triathlons for every age group and both genders.
- If you prefer lake swimming, you’ll enjoy plunging into crystalline lake waters where you can see all the way to the bottom of the lake and swallow the water without any problems. If you’d rather try the challenge of an ocean swim, you have the opportunity to do that, too.
Which New Zealand Triathlon Should You Participate in?
With as many as 30 triathlons taking place in New Zealand most years, it can be a challenge to figure out which ones you want to participate in. They’re all worth doing, but some are more popular than others.
If you live outside New Zealand, you’ll be in good company if you travel to Taupo to take part in the Ironman New Zealand. About half the participants in this world-famous triathlon are usually from other countries, so it is truly an international event.
You won’t want to miss the 34th Ironman New Zealand, which will take place in March of 2018. The kids’ Ironman Fun Run event will take place on March 2, 2018; the Ironman and Ironman 70.3 events will happen on March 3.
The scenic town of Taupo, New Zealand is perched on the edge of Australasia’s most significant lake. While you’re here, you can also enjoy trout fishing excursions, wakeboarding, kayaking, hiking, golfing, mountain biking and countless other fun, challenging activities.
A few other excellent triathlon events to consider:
- The Panasonic triathlon 2017 / 2018 event series in Auckland features triathlon and duathlon events for athletes ages 12 and up; there’s an upcoming event in this series on December 3, 2017.
- The Southland Summer Challenge on December 9, 2017, is comprised of 5 events including triathlon, duathlon and multisport adventure racing challenges.
- The Lake Hayes Christmas Triathlon has been an annual event since 1983; there’s also an annual Easter event that’s just as worthwhile. This event features the opportunity for the team and individual competitions in triathlon, duathlon and multisport events. The next event will take place on December 27, 2017.
If you decide to come to New Zealand for a triathlon or any other sporting event, you have the option to make the most of your time here by adding a specialty tour to your travel itinerary. You can choose to take a sports tour, an adventure tour, a wine tour or just about any other type of tour your imagination could conjure.
We invite you to get in touch with us by email or call us to talk about your interests and travel plans. You can call +64 2191 0433 from outside New Zealand or 0800 4 ROADTRIP from anywhere in the country. We’ll welcome you warmly to New Zealand and help you plan the triathlon adventure of a lifetime.